Thursday, November 27, 2008

Bicycles to Drool Over.

I've been thinking lately that I need to get into bike riding again - it saves me spending money on the bus or spending time walking and it's exercise.  Then I start to think about my bike - a charming old Raleigh 20. It's purple and once had two white tyres (but now has one white, one black).  I really love it but it's always breaking down.  At the moment the seat is doing something weird and I need to get a spanner to it and the pedals slip when you are trying to ride uphill (kinda scary and dangerous).

So... I started investigating buying a new bike with the classic old fashioned look that I love.  I found a lot on overseas websites! These are my favourites. Unfortunately they are all hugely expensive and possibly not able to be shipped to NZ.  Anyway... makes for good drooling:

Fietsfabriek "Retro" 



Gucci release this little red beauty as a special item during the Beijing Olympics for a cool US$3,420!


Jorg & Olif have this cutey "Oma" at a fairly reasonable price ... for those in the States only!



These two are from the British Pashley Cycles "Sonnet Bliss" and "Princess Classic"



Kronan! These are probably the most viable for me to purchase - they have an Australian distributer.
I'm digging the cream quite a lot.



Velorbis "Victoria Classic", "Dannebrog", and "Scrap Deluxe".  Another great example of Northern European design. I love the cane baskets too!  And the Scrap Deluxe have an interesting kinda modernist look.


And finally the Skeppshult "Nova", "Promenade" and "Nature" (x2 colours).  The Promenade is the mens model but I love the colours.

1 comment:

yvon malice said...

Oh gosh! I had a blue Raleigh 20 with white wheels! Mine rusted and died, but I kept the comfy seat and have used it on various bikes since. :)